Individual with private means of support
Individuals with private means of support must be able to prove that they can support themselves in Iceland for at least 3 months. See minimum subsistence.
An application is not processed until all documentation has been received and the applicant has arrived at a registration office and presented passport and other necessary documentation.
Form that needs to be submitted electronically:
- A-271: Application for registration in the national registry for period exceeding three months. The applicant must fill out the form and state their own email address where the registration certificate will be sent via email after registration has been completed.
- Following documents must be submitted together with the application:
- A copy/photo of a passport or legal travel document with at least 6 months remaining of its term of validity.
- Confirmation of health insurance. Travel insurance is not sufficient.
- Documents confirming ability to provide means of support for at least three months. Note that it must be clear who owns the means on the documents submitted and the document should not be older than two weeks.
- It is optional to submit the following documents together with the application:
- Birth certificate.
- Marital status certificate. Applicants are encouraged to submit their marital status certificate because marital status may affect individuals’ various rights, and their children (if relevant).
Upon arrival in Iceland the applicant must go to a registration office and present the original copies of the following documents:
- A passport or legal travel document with at least 6 months remaining of its term of validity.
- Birth certificate and/or marital status certificate, if they were submitted in the application process.